For those of you looking into medical billing training in Winnfield, Louisiana, you’ll be relieved to hear that there are some exceptions to this general rule, and one of those includes careers in the medical / healthcare field – which, due to an aging demographic and a corresponding increased demand for services, means demand for qualified professionals isn’t going anywhere but up anytime soon.
This certainly includes healthcare administrative technicians, or as they are more commonly known, medical billers and coders. This assessment is confirmed by the U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics, which estimates a 21% in demand for these technical healthcare professionals in the period between 2010-2020.
As an individual who has obtained medical billing training in Winnfield, LA, you can look forward to providing a service that is directly tied to this increased demand; after all, more people in doctor’s offices means more billing – to insurance companies, to Medicaide, and to patients themselves.
And that means more work for you.
Formal Training Requirements
It may surprise to learn that no formal education is mandated in order to obtain a career in this field, but that certainly doesn’t mean you should give up your interests in obtaining medical billing training in Winnfield, Louisiana.
1. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics the median pay for this career was slightly over $32,000 in 2010. That’s pretty decent money, and when you factor in the long term job security and the length of time it takes to become properly trained in this field (not long at all) it’s a pretty decent investment. As such, there are a lot of people looking to obtain employment in this field and every single one of them is your “competition.”
2. Not only does formal training give you an “edge” over your competitors, but it also makes you more employable, because employers do not need to spend a lot of time teaching you the “ins and outs” of the job; you already know them. Thus, it’s a better investment for them. So while it is possible to get a job in this field without formal education, it is unlikely to happen unless you happen to have a “connection”; otherwise, the formally trained individual will almost always get the job.
3. Should formal education and graduation become a requirement in the future, then you don’t have to worry about it.
Medical Billing Training in Winnfield, Louisiana
When it comes to training, you really have two options; classroom based and online. Is one better than the other?
Which should you choose?
That’s a good question.
The answer is this; provided that either program is properly accredited, there is no “better.”
There is only different.
Truth is, many schools are taking their traditional classes for this career and moving them into an online format. It’s just a very efficient way to teach this particular topic. So if you’re the sort of person who prefers to be in a classroom environment in order to learn best, you may have to go a little farther afield in order to obtain your schooling – traditional classroom education options just may not be available in your area.
Of course, online schooling offers anyone, anywhere, the option to study from home at their convenience. The benefits are obvious – you can still work your current job, you can study in your spare time, you don’t have to commute, you don’t need a babysitter, you can use your time more efficiently and so on.
Not surprising, taking an online course can also be difficult because it requires you to be extremely dedicated and self motivated. This is not as easy as it sounds, especially if you live a busy household. If you are in a classroom setting, you have no distractions, and the time is allocated out of your day for study. With an online course that is not the case.
So the choice between classroom and online training should be made based on two things…
- Your available options (i.e., is there a classroom based option for this career locally?).
- Your learning preferences. Do you prefer to learn in a classroom? Do you have the dedication and motivation to learn this at home on your own?
- Your unique situation. If you know you will never be able to find the “alone” time (between kids, pets, chores, laundry, work, spouse, etc.) to complete this course at home, well then you’ve answered your question, haven’t you?
To get started investigating your options, simply enter your ZIP code into the field here on the right, and check our regularly updated database of schools and courses, both online, and locally, in Winnfield, Louisiana.
Select the options that look the most interesting and follow up when applicable. Think carefully about your options.
Good luck in your endeavors in this rewarding and exciting healthcare administrative position.